Wednesday 26 March 2014

Lunch ideas for 1 week using flour tortillas Day 7: Pronto Pizza


Flour tortilla pizza

This is the 7th and last day of my mission to make lunch using a flour tortilla each day for a week and so far I have been completely bowled over by all of the delicious and easy recipes I've tried. So, with only one lonely tortilla left from my pack of 8 I had to decide how to give it the same send off as the other 7 and turn it into an appetising lunch.

I have to be honest and say that, when I first came across the idea of a pizza made out of a flour tortilla, I wasn't completely inspired. After all the tasty food I've had this week this one didn't sound too exciting but I thought I'd give it a go anyway - what's the worst that could happen?

First I mixed a quick tomato sauce from:
1tbsp tomato puree
1tbsp water
1/2 clove of garlic, chopped finely
1/4 tsp dried oregano
a little salt and black pepper


Pizza made from flour tortilla
I put my tortilla pizza on a wire rack before baking to
make sure the base turned crispy.
I then spread the sauce over one side of the flour tortilla and sprinkled some grated cheese on top of that. I added some other toppings (roasted peppers, artichoke hearts and green olives I had leftover in a jar in the fridge) and cooked it on a wire rack in a preheated oven at 200°C/ 400°F/ Gas Mark 6 for around 6 minutes - I wanted a crispy base and didn't think a baking tray would do the trick. After approx 6 minutes the edges of the tortilla had turned brown and the cheese had melted.

I took it out of the oven and cut myself a slice while it was still piping hot - it looked nice but the proof of the pudding (or pizza in this case) would be in the eating. Wow!!! This humble tortilla had been totally transformed into something else that tasted so...so Italian! The tortilla base had turned really crisp and the toppings tasted genuinely like pizza - who would have thought it? This had turned out to be one of the best recipe ideas of the week.

I've also got a feeling that it would work just as well with almost any topping and I'm already thinking of making it again but can't decide whether I should add pesto or pepperoni next time! It would also be a great way of getting kids involved in the kitchen - let them build their own pronto pizza. 

So, had I inadvertently saved the best till last? Thinking back over the past 7 days it's difficult to say as I've had so many brilliant lunches that have exceeded my expectations ten-fold. I will certainly never look at a pack of flour tortillas in the same way ever again.

Wonder what I'll have for lunch tomorrow!

Below are links to all of the other recipe ideas I've tried this week:

Taco salad with lime and coriander vinaigrette

Felafel and hummus wrap

Tortilla Chips with home made guacamole and hummus

Huevos Rancheros

Quesadillas

BLT Wrap

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...