Wednesday 12 March 2014

Easy Peasy Prawn Thai Red Curry

Easy Peasy Prawn Thai Red Curry

I've got an eclectic mix of meals on the menu this week due to the fact that our freezer desperately needs a defrost and, as I hate waste, I've made it my mission to cook as many of its contents as I possibly can before I have to switch it off. 

So after planning some interesting meals that uses up most of my frozen food, I'm left wondering what delectable dish I can create with what's leftover - half a bag of spinach, a few ice-encrusted carrots, a dozen hash browns and a small lump of uncooked shortcrust pastry. Answers on a postcard please!

I did find one item tucked away in there that I had forgotten about - a nice bag of juicy prawns. I therefore had to make a difficult choice - would it be prawn cocktail or prawn curry? I decided on prawn curry as I hadn't made it for ages. I've got a recipe that's full of Thai flavours but is unbelievably quick and easy - there's no grinding of spices and very little chopping, and, because prawns don't need to cook for long the whole dish can be whipped up in a matter of minutes. I usually serve it with rice and, honestly, the rice takes longer to cook than the curry itself.

Notes: Any type of prawn is good in this - a simple bag of defrosted cooked prawns works well but if you want to splash out on fresh king or tiger prawns they will be amazing. I used a mix of the frozen prawns from my freezer plus a small tray of king prawns I bought from the supermarket.

This recipe serves 3 - 4


Prawn Thai Red Curry

Ingredients:
1tbsp vegetable oil
Bunch of spring onions (trimmed and chopped)
2cm piece of fresh ginger - finely grated
400ml can of coconut milk
2tbsp red curry paste from a jar
1tbsp fish sauce
500g cooked peeled prawns
1tbsp chopped coriander

Method:
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the spring onions until soft taking care not to burn them.

2. Add the grated ginger, coconut milk, red curry paste and fish sauce. Heat the sauce through to almost boiling.

3. Add the prawns and cook very gently for about 5 minutes until the prawns are warmed through. Stir in the chopped coriander.

4. Serve with plain boiled long grain, basmati or jasmine rice.

This recipe has been inspired by a recipe in a book entitled 'What's Cooking? Thai' published by Paragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...