Wednesday 19 March 2014

Lunch ideas for 1 week using flour tortillas. Day 2: Felafel and Hummus Wrap

So, it's Day 2 of my attempt to do something different for lunch each day this week with my pack of flour tortillas and today I opted for a felafel and hummus wrap. This one was a no brainer for me because I love felafel and I love hummus (especially home made - see below) and, as both ingredients are easily obtainable ready-made this can be made in a jiffy. It's delicious topped with a little chilli sauce and with a bit of salad thrown in for good measure!




I do like to make my own hummus though as it's so quick and easy and, even though it's fine to buy it ready-made, I think the fresh taste of home made is even better. This recipe makes enough to generously fill a pack of 8 flour tortillas if it has to. If you've got lots left over, then keep it in the fridge for the next day to have with some crispy tortilla chips (I'm going to try making some tomorrow). The hummus will keep fresh for up to 3 days in the fridge but it's so yummy I'd be surprised if it lasts that long!

Just a note about tahini, which is one of the essential ingredients of hummus. Tahini is sesame seed paste which can usually be found in large supermarkets. However I went around mine three times looking for it and couldn't find it so I assume they mustn't stock it there! I did find it in Holland and Barrett though.


Home Made Hummus

Ingredients:
1 400g can of chick peas (drain the chick peas but reserve some of the liquid for later)
1 clove of garlic
2tbsp tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
100ml olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Method:
1. Put all the ingredients except the olive oil into a food processer and chop it to a thick paste. Don't worry if there are still lumps at this stage.

2. With the food processor running, pour the olive oil slowly into the mix. The paste should become softer with the oil and turn fairly smooth.

3. If the paste is still too thick, add some of the reserved liquid from the chick peas but not too much, the hummus should be thick and not runny.

The hummus can be spread onto tortillas, as a sandwich filling or as a dip with carrot sticks, bread sticks etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...