Friday 2 May 2014

Sesame Soba Noodles



My daughter will be going back to Uni at the weekend and won't be home again until the summer. I will miss her but the house will be so much quieter - especially at lunchtimes! 

When I'm busy I'm happy to grab a quick lunch on the hoof but for my daughter, lunch has to be interesting and varied and is something to take a bit of time over. Personally I think she's got too much time on her hands but she maintains that lunch is just as important as any other meal of the day and I have to say that you can't argue with that can you? I do think that we overlook, and, dare I say, skip lunch too often, usually because of the demands of our busy lives. 

A couple of months ago, I posted about lunch for 1 week using flour tortillas but thought I'd post another favourite lunchtime recipe - Sesame Soba Noodles. It's a favourite due to the fact that it's eaten cold so can be prepared the evening before, stored in the fridge in a plastic container overnight and then popped in my bag to be eaten wherever and whenever the next day. If you do this though, don't forget to pack a fork or some chopsticks as well - this is NOT finger food! 

This recipe produces a light meat-free lunch full of Asian flavours but the recipe is really flexible (see notes below). Soba noodles are made using buckwheat flour but the brand I used also contained wheat flour so if you're on a gluten-free diet check the packet first.


Sesame Soba Noodles



Notes: I use soba noodles in this recipe for no other reason than they have a slippery texture that means they don't stick together as much as other noodles if left to chill in the fridge overnight. Other types of noodles would be just as nice but may need a bit more dressing, especially the thicker ones.

The ingredients are variable - I've included the ingredients that I used the day I took the photographs but small sticks of carrot, thinly sliced mange-tout or small sticks of leek are lovely too. For a more substantial lunch, chicken or prawns could be added - just use your imagination.

Serves 2-3 depending upon your appetite

Ingredients:
150g soba noodles
½ red chilli - deseeded
2cm piece of ginger
1tbsp coriander leaves
6 spring onions
1 stick celery
1tbsp sesame oil
1tbsp white rice vinegar
1tbsp soy sauce
1tsp sesame seeds

Method:
1.Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the noodles. Cook for 2 minutes (or according to the instructions) then drain and leave to cool.

2. Finely chop the chilli, ginger and coriander leaves, slice the spring onions and cut the celery into matchsticks. Mix into the noodles.

3. Combine the sesame oil, vinegar and soy sauce together and pour over the noodles. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

6 comments:

  1. I've been obsessed with soba noodles lately and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina. I have to say that I am a bit too! I tried them as an alternative to egg noodles but I think they're much nicer and much more versatile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have found your blog! This recipe sounds perfect - I have a uni student at home too, and this would appeal to him greatly! He loves the Korean version of cold noodles (japchae) , so I'm sure he'd enjoy these as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't tried Korean noodles yet but will look out for them and give them a try:-)

      Delete
  4. This looks wonderful! Perfect for spring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to agree that I prefer lighter tastes when the weather starts to get warmer.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...